While it’s good that science provides us with new and better information to guide our food choices, it is sometimes hard to keep up with the latest and greatest. Recommendations on fats and oils have changed dramatically over the years. Remember how saturated fats are bad fats? Actually, generally they still are. But did you know that coconut oil is a saturated fat and did you know that it is now said that coconut oil is actually good for your heart? What?
While there is STILL debate about coconut oil, I’m going with Dr. Oz’s recommendation.
In case you’re still with me (and Dr. Oz), here is a brief summary of the benefits of coconut oil.
- It has no cholesterol and actually helps reduce bad cholesterol. It has lauric acid which is a saturated fat that increases the good HDL cholesterol in the blood.
- Studies have shown that it fights bacteria, viruses. It even kills the yeast and fungus which plagues people with candida.
- It increases metabolism and energy by boosting thyroid function.
- It helps in the management of blood sugar levels.
- It has medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) which lead to efficient burning of energy resulting in weight loss! The Dr. Oz article even quotes a study which showed how it helped women get rid of belly fat! Whoa!
So, maybe you’re with us but you have no idea how to use it! Well, here are a BUNCH of sites you can go to for recipes that use coconut oil!
Enjoy and let’s get healthy!